Legal Question in Family Law in Wisconsin

I was wondering how to approach a situation. My son and his ex had a child. The child is now 3. The mother seems to only want the child to get money. The mom has turned down full time jobs to keep getting child support, food share, badger care, ect. The child also goes to my sons house with weird bruises (such as hand print/finger prints) and other neglectful/abuse related things. My son voiced his concern and got told he is being nit picky and accidents happen. We thought about offering her a large sum of money to just sign over her rights since all she wants is money. Is there a legal way to do this? It seems like people want to keep covering up for the mother because its always 'poor her' why is there still such a bais? The GAL said my son was to stable and needs to give his ex more assistance so she can be stable. Once again, shr keeps turning down full time jobs and just trying to live off others and the government. Is there anything I can do as a grandparent? Or anything my son can do? The GAL they just had was meeting with his ex behind his back and it seemed like she was acting as her lawyer so idk if the court will do anything because the gal is on her side.

Asked on 1/07/14, 8:42 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

David Kowalski Kowalski Family Law, LLC

If a GAL is currently appointed, there must be a support or custody case pending. I highly recommend that your son retain an experienced family lawyer. First of all, he could request full or majority custody and placement of the child. Second, if there is no reason that mother can't work, he can argue that she should either be required to apply for jobs and/or have his support reduced because she could earn income. If you are concerned about possible abuse, you can contact the county child protective service. The GAL may not be biased. It sounds like you and your son could benefit from a family attorney to present and advocate your arguments properly.

Read more
Answered on 1/07/14, 12:20 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Wisconsin