Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Wisconsin

Hello, my family and I bought a vacant lot in SE Wisconsin in a subdivision in which the developer went into foreclosure previously to us buying the property. In 2007 the developer was to start a association with covenants and restrictions, also there was to be a architectural committee. We bought the lot in 2013 and spring of 2015 we would like to start building, but I have no contact information about the association. I can not find any phone numbers E-mail addresses or anything. I believe that there is no association. There is only one house built as of this moment in this subdivision.

Could we build to local laws and ordinances and forget about the old subdivision covenants and restrictions.

Asked on 2/01/15, 8:53 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Thomas Schober Schober Schober & Mitchell, S.C.

You should probably do this correctly to minimize risks.

You should have received a title policy at the time of your purchase. That would tell you all the documents that affect your lot. You could also check the State of Wisconsin Department of Financial Institutions, to see if the entity was set up there to run your homeowner's association. It would take a lot of investigative work, without knowing the name, but often it starts with the subdivision name, so that may help.

Good luck!

Read more
Answered on 2/02/15, 8:26 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Wisconsin