Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Wisconsin

We are a family of 6 (husband, wife and 4 kids). Husband works will the wife is home with the kids. Husband has a bank account for himself and then one for both of us. His income check gets deposited into HIS account and when I need money for gas, groceries, stuff for kids he gives me an "allowance" into our account to get what I need. I have absolutely no access to his account and this is the account he pays the bills with. Except that he hasn't been paying the bills. Electricity was shut off, checks are bouncing and now the mortgage company called, apparently he's not paying that either - though he always has money to take out the boat, go out for supper with friends, etc. Being that I can't get access to our money, I can't pay any bills. I'm scared the house is going to get foreclosed on and I will be responsible for it, even though he's not letting me have access to any of the money. Is there even anything I can do about it or do I just sit back and wait to see what he feels like paying?

Asked on 5/25/12, 8:13 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Maxwell Livingston Law Offices of Maxwell Charles Livingston

As he is your husband, in a marital property state, you have a right to access to your funds (income is a shared fund), especially for things like child rearing, and paying the mortgage. I can help you; if you need to pay only after you have access to necessary monies, I understand. Send me an email so I can help.

Read more
Answered on 5/29/12, 6:15 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Wisconsin