Legal Question in Family Law in Wyoming

I decided to divorce my husband because of a number of reasons. The straw that broke the camels back was when we left my 7 month old home alone with no babysitter (I have witnesses and he's admitted) to go to the bar. I packed up immediately and left. Other factors leading up to this include everything from adultery on his part and severe physical abuse, which I also have witnesses to. He completely fell off the face of the planet, never calling us or asking to see the kids. He never paid any amount of support either.

2 years later, I was served with official divorce papers. He got the best lawyer in the state according to some, and lied saying I was the cheater and was never there to take care of the kids. (This is 100% false, I never went "out", I had no friends really, my entire life was cooking and cleaning and raising children. He told me he didn't want me to work, disputed my argument that I enjoyed working.) also, when I moved out he would not allow me to take any of my property with me, and then he was supposedly evicted and left it all inside the house. I got a consultation with a lawyer who promised me I would be paid back at least a good portion of my losses, he would pay all the child support he owed, and would possibly be punished for child neglect. This sounded amazing so I paid the 4500.00 retainer I could not really afford. The day comes that the case is settled, I got nothing that was promised except my last bam back. He was ordered to pay 50.00 period. I feel cheated, and it's as though he won. I'm still behind on bills because of the lawyer who did nothing, and my ex and his family are harassing my family and threatening to take my kids from me because they have more money than me. They don't care about my kids, I just want them to leave us alone. I would like my photo albums, heirlooms, jewelry, car, furniture and clothes back but my kids are my main concern. Can he really get away with it? Can my lawyer really charge me for services she did not deliver?

Also, my ex stole my gun from my parents house and sold it. Isn't that illegal? He was court ordered to get sober but hasn't, he's going around the order by not asking to see the kids - so he doesn't have to breathalyze (that was the deal). I contacted my landlord about all my stuff being left in that house and he won't answer, is that legal?

Asked on 7/20/15, 2:12 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Thomas Lubnau Lubnau Law Office, P.C.

You should consult with another attorney to determine what options, if any, you might have. The Wyoming State Bar has a fee dispute process you might want to explore if you felt you paid for services you did not receive.

Read more
Answered on 7/20/15, 6:35 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Wyoming