Legal Question in Traffic Law in New Jersey

I was driving on Route 1 NJ (Rahway) at 75 MPH, because I was late for my University exam which was crucial worth my future. I usually use Route 1 near New Brunswick/Edison/Woodbridge where the speed limit is 55 MPH, but apparently the speed drops to 45 MPH in Rahway. Thus I obtained a speeding ticket. My ticket says 39:4-98- Speeding and it also says Non-Payable Offense. Is it possible to obtain a Probation Before Judgement or a Plea Bargain so that I do not receive points for this. I am willing to pay any amount of fine but I cannot obtain any points. This is my first Speeding Violation.

Asked on 6/20/12, 11:36 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You can avoid points under certain circumstances. but sometimes you have to pay a surcharge for the privilege....

Call me to discuss 215-370-2608

Best wishes


Read more
Answered on 6/20/12, 12:30 pm
Jonathan Mincis Jonathan J. Mincis, Esq. Law Offices
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

If you were issued a ticket for allegedly traveling 75/45, thirty over the posted limit this carries 5 motor vehicle points. You can negotiate down the speed but it is not a given that the municipal prosecutor will automatically agree to amend the summons to a no point violation. You actually did not say you were charged with traveling thirty over (or more), but it becomes harder (not necessarily impossible) to negotiate a no point downgrade when the motorist is alleged to have been traveling in excess of thirty miles over the posted limit. If you are able to avoid the points (and the prosecutor agrees to offer a no point violation) you will definately need to pay a surchrge. please call me to discuss further, I never charge a fee merely to speak to someone about their case (201)-342-5030

Read more
Answered on 6/21/12, 9:57 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Traffic Law questions and answers in New Jersey

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now