Legal Question in Constitutional Law in Alabama

If someone drives thru a yard a tears it up an I get their tag number can I get a warrent for them?

Asked on 10/08/13, 1:08 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Yours is a Criminal Law or Civil Law (sometimes referred to as a Tort Law) question, not Constitutional Law. If you decide to hire an attorney you should look for one that specializes in those areas.

If you call the police and submit a report they may ask a judge to issue a warrant for arrest. A tag number alone will not typically suffice. You, or some other witness, must also provide a description of the driver.

If you cannot get the driver arrested you may be able to sue the owner of the car in Civil Court for trespass or negligence (by allowing their car to be used for trespass). If the damage to your yard is less than $3,000 you can file the complaint in Small Claims court. The Clerks in the Courthouse should be able to help you identify who owns the car from the tag number.

Read more
Answered on 10/08/13, 2:25 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Constitutional Law questions and answers in Alabama

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now