Alabama  |  Personal Injury

Is the city I live in liable? A city municipal truck nearly killed me. I was coming home friday, driving down a narrow road before getting onto the main drag. A truck with municipal plates got in front of me. I saw the debris on the back. There was no back gate. There were absolutely no restraints of any kind! It was carrying a damaged crane shovel from a construction vehicle, various tree limbs, two large desk and other metal assortments.

When I saw this, I gave the truck a wide berth. Less than a minute later, the truck hit a bump. Debris sprang from the truck going airbourne. It bounced of the street heading straight for my windshield. I swerved into the next lane and spun out between two trees. The debris hit the side of my car instead of my windshield. I managed to get close enough to the truck to get its license plate number and a picture showing the free debris on the back. I went to the police station and filed a report. They ran the tags and said the truck belong to the city. I showed them the picture, they said the same thing I did. The truck should have had restraints on it to prevent debris from shaking loose.

1. How do I get the city to pay for this?

2. Can I file a lawsuit against the city?