Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Arizona

My Grandmother has been letting some family members live with her for the past three years. They don't pay rent, she pays ALL of the utilities and she continues to live there with them. Recently she asked them to leave and they refused. She was afraid and came to stay with us for a few days and while she was gone they changed the locks and she can't get back into her own house. She is taking them to court and they are treating it like a landlord/tenant case. Do they have any rights to the house in this situation?

Asked on 5/12/13, 7:06 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Donald Scher Donald T. Scher & Associates, P.C.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Your grandmother should call the police and make a complaint against them for elder abuse and financial exploitation. There are criminal laws, Elder Abuse Statutes, against people/family members doing this.

You can also take action in civil court, the probate division of the Superior Court to protect grandma. Please act at once! If you would like to consult with an attorney, I will be able to do so, I charge a fixed fee to consult with grandma and those of you trying to protect her, and will give you direction what you can do to protect her interests and get the relatives out of the house.

Read more
Answered on 5/12/13, 8:18 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Arizona

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Real Estate and Real Property Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now