California  |  Consumer Law

In Jan. 2013 I bought a small grill on line from Sears, paid for with my American Express.

In May 2013 I got a letter for a sporting goods store, called, "Cabela's" asking me to pay them for merchandise I recieved from them, saying that my Visa card did not clear the charges. I had no idea who these people were as I had made no purchase with them and never use my Visa for online shopping.

When I called and spoke to their credit department, I was told that the grill I bought online from Sears was purchased by Sears from them and that Sears used a bad Visa card and had never paid them. Since I have the merchandise,they say I owe them the money. I called American Express who confirmed that my bill to Sears was paid for. I called Sears who said they did not even buy the grill from Cabela's but from a company called "Top Sellers" Now Cabela's has sent me a second letter saying if I dont pay them, they are going to turn me in to a collection agency. How do I get Cabela's to leave me alone?