Legal Question in Consumer Law in California

If i purchased a car during a private sale, and the car broke down on the way home, and buyer did not provide me a proof of smog, and when the car was taken to the shop it did not pass smog. Can i get my money back?

Asked on 10/02/13, 7:19 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Kelvin Green The Law Office of Kelvin Green
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Generally used cars are sold as. Is...

However California has some specific rules from

Who pays for the Smog Check?

In private party transactions, the seller must provide the buyer with a proof of smog certification prior to the transfer of ownership. If the vehicle is purchased from a dealer, the passing Vehicle Inspection Report should be provided as part of the transfer documents. It is evidence that the vehicle meets state requirements for smog equipment. A vehicle that has not been issued a smog certification cannot be registered.

You have a claim to void the contract...

Read more
Answered on 10/02/13, 7:57 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Consumer Law questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Consumer Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now