California  |  Consumer Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 10/02/13, 7:19 pm

If i purchased a car during a private sale, and the car broke down on the way home, and buyer did not provide me a proof of smog, and when the car was taken to the shop it did not pass smog. Can i get my money back?

1 Answer

Answered on: 10/02/13, 7:57 pm by Kelvin Green

Generally used cars are sold as. Is...

However California has some specific rules from

Who pays for the Smog Check?

In private party transactions, the seller must provide the buyer with a proof of smog certification prior to the transfer of ownership. If the vehicle is purchased from a dealer, the passing Vehicle Inspection Report should be provided as part of the transfer documents. It is evidence that the vehicle meets state requirements for smog equipment. A vehicle that has not been issued a smog certification cannot be registered.

You have a claim to void the contract...

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

The Law Office of Kelvin Green . California Bar #286285, CA ..

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

81 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search