Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in California

I had my check book stolen from out of my town home and did not realize it was missing until I checked my bank statements online. The check was written for four hundred dollars which is a lot for me being that I have a part time job and have to pay off student loans and a credit card from college so what I do make is going towards that. So I call the ban and the first person told me that they will have there manager call me back so I waited for hours the I call and the next person i talked to said that there is no need for a manager to call me and that the other person didn't fill my claim. This person filled it for me and sent me the paper work and I went into the bank and they faxed it over to the fraud department. About one month later after sending the bank my police report and all the information I had they denied my claim. They said my checks were not kept in a safe place even though they were kept in my house in my room. Is there anyway I can get my money back?

Asked on 8/21/13, 11:18 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Carl Starrett Law Offices of Carl H. Starrett II
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

I'll answer this question the same way i did the first time you posted it: you need to sue them. You have the right to sue the bank and it sounds like you have a pretty good case, but that's the only way to force them to pay. You can resolve a $400 dispute in small claims court without having to hire an attorney. Banks are easy to collect from.

Read more
Answered on 8/21/13, 11:28 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Credit, Debt and Collections Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now