Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in California

I stopped paying my credit cards in 2008. 3 months ago I opened a Wells Fargo checking account & was notified 8/17 that a "funds hold" was placed due to CIR law (collections agency). CIR law has my current information because they regularly send me mail and called me. I have never received any other paperwork from them besides "seasonal settlement offers." Do they have a legal right to hold my bank account? I have two children. Automatic funds are sent through the account for child support.

Steven Simons Law Office of Steven A. Simons

CIR Law is a debt collector. Generally, they purchase charged off debt from credit card companies and try to collect. If they have a hold on your bank, this means they have a judgment -somewhere some how they claim to have served you with a lawsuit and that you never responded. I see you are in Duarte. I would encourage you to check the information from your bank - there should be a case number on the paperwork. Reveiw the court case and see when the judgment was entered. Then you can plot a course of action. It may be a motion to set aside the judgment or it may be soemthing else. But whatever you do act quickly as you have a window of time that is starting to close.

You can call always my office for more information. Good luck.

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in California

Credit, Debt and Collections Law Legal Forms