California  |  Credit and Debt Law

Eviction

I want to know if two names are on the lease for an apartment, both people are responsible for the payment left on it correct? If the other person refuses to do anything about it will it still look positive on my side?

Answered on: 1/08/08, 11:17 pm by Jonas Grant

Re: Eviction

Not sure what you mean. If it's joint and several liability, each tenant is responsible for all of the obligations under the lease. If your roommate doesn't perform, you have to pay everything (you are then entitled to sue your roommate to recover his/her half or whatever it was supposed to be). If either roommate has violated the lease, the landlord may seek eviction, and the fact that you partially paid the rent (if that is the case) is not going to change much, unless you can reach an agreement with the landlord to find a new roommate or to make all rent payments yourself.

Law Office of Jonas M. Grant, A.P.C. 20700 Ventura Blvd., Suite 328 Woodland Hills, CA 91364