California  |  Credit and Debt Law

My father just passed away and left a lot of credit card debt thats under both his and my mothers name. My mother is on disability due to Arthiritis and doesnt have any income. Now the credit card companies are starting to call and ask her for the $150K thats owed. She doesnt care about her credit, she has no income...only thing she is worried about is keeping her house which is paid off. Does she have to pay the credit cards? whats the worst case senerio?

Answered on: 5/09/13, 3:44 pm by Asaph Abrams

Creditors may record judicial liens against the real property. An attorney can advise whether she should seek bankruptcy protection; the value of the home is a decisive factor.

This answer (as well as our Web site) by San Diego Bankruptcy Attorney, Asaph Abrams doesnít address all facts & implications of the question; itís general bankruptcy info, not legal advice to be relied upon; it creates no attorney-client relationship; it may be pertinent to CA bankruptcy law only and certain facts may be relevant to the San Diego Bankruptcy Court only; itís independent of other answers. Seek legal counsel before acting on or refraining from bankruptcy- or other legal-action.

Law Office of Asaph Abrams 9340 Carmel Mountain Road Suite E San Diego, 92129