Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in California

I keep getting harrassing calls at work from a recording, stating "John britt has papers to serve me" No other information is given (no company name, no case number, nada) except a phone number 855-668-5649. I have never rec'd calls on my cell, never rec'd anything in the mail. I do not owe anyone, but I would think if this was serious I would get something sent to me at home or my cell number would be called, as neither my number or address has chnaged in years. How can i make this stop? Not only is it embarrassing, but could cause me to get into trouble at work.

Carl Starrett Law Offices of Carl H. Starrett II

I Googled the number and this appears to be a scam. Here's an example: http://www.callercenter.com/855-668-5649.html. The first thing I would do is alert your supervisors that you are being harassed at work, that you don't owe the money and ask if there is a way they can help by blocking the calls. Then I would consider consulting a local consumer rights attorney to see if you might have a claim for violation of the federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in California

Credit, Debt and Collections Law Legal Forms