Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in California

I keep getting harrassing calls at work from a recording, stating "John britt has papers to serve me" No other information is given (no company name, no case number, nada) except a phone number 855-668-5649. I have never rec'd calls on my cell, never rec'd anything in the mail. I do not owe anyone, but I would think if this was serious I would get something sent to me at home or my cell number would be called, as neither my number or address has chnaged in years. How can i make this stop? Not only is it embarrassing, but could cause me to get into trouble at work.

Asked on 8/29/13, 12:18 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Carl Starrett Law Offices of Carl H. Starrett II
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

I Googled the number and this appears to be a scam. Here's an example: The first thing I would do is alert your supervisors that you are being harassed at work, that you don't owe the money and ask if there is a way they can help by blocking the calls. Then I would consider consulting a local consumer rights attorney to see if you might have a claim for violation of the federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.

Read more
Answered on 8/30/13, 9:37 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Credit, Debt and Collections Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now