California  |  Credit and Debt Law

Hi,

I recently found myself in what I felt was an unfair situation. I rent a home at the same place where I work. I started here about two years back and had to fit new carpets to the home that I rent, I initially paid for the carpets and it was also agreed that they would pay me back, however I had held back on them paying me as they were not very financially stable and at times let people go due to finances, or so it seemed. Recently in November they put my rent up by around $115 per month, I didn't find that very fair either but obviously had to accept it, I then submitted the carpeting invoice of $2050 which was told to me they would pay it. I waited for two weeks for the check but nothing was paid, then I was called in a meeting with the VP, HR person and CFO at which time the CFO simply informed me that they had decided they would pay my carpets, but would first put my rent up backdated to when I arrived here two years ago and explained further that if one calculates the increased rent over two years it comes to about $2800 and therefore I would owe them $800 instead. Despite me trying to explain how wrong that was I was simply told in return it was very fair as far as she and they understood and by means of their logic forced to accept their agreement, despite an initial agreement with the rent that I was paying two years back.

Please advice if you feel this is legally and ethically incorrect.

Thank you most kindly.

Trevor Louw