California  |  Credit and Debt Law

I was living in an apartment complex, which upon moving in they said they would have security traveling the premises 24/7. In less than 6 months my car was broken into twice, and there was no security ever on the premises. Likewise, I complained about my neighbor being too loud and the management company told her, at which time the neighbor left a threatening note on my door saying she was going to make my life miserable and be incredibly loud.

Because of this, I moved out without paying my last months rent. They sent my bill of $1500 to collections. I have a 750+ credit score, 0 debt, and about $250K in the bank. I do not want to pay based on principle, since they do not deserve a penny and handled this completely irresponsibly.

How much will this one issue affect my credit score?

Should I try and fight it with the collection company? Or is that just a way for them to confirm receipt that I have a collection claim against me?

Any other tips would be great.