Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in California

I'm unemployed & have been for 2 yrs. w/unemployment exhausted.in sept of 10' circumstances put me in the emergency room. my emergency room visit ended up coming to a grand total of 4473.14.i did not neglect responding to statements from the hospital as i informed them that i would not be able to pay the bill due to the situation being as i just stated to you.i am now in the unfortunate position of being in collections w/interest adding to the balance. i own a home & am concerned about my credit as well as a possible lean being placed on my home.any insight from this email would be appreaciated as to what my options are. thank you for your time, kim

Robert F. Cohen Law Office of Robert F. Cohen

Depending on your financial circumstances, you might think about whether bankruptcy would be right for you. In addition, the hospital has four years to sue on a written agreement, or two years on an oral agreement. Finally, have you talked to the hospital's accounting office again and reminded them of your financial circumstances and asked them to waive or reduce the amount?

The hospital cannot put a lien on your property unless it has a judgment against you. So, if you are ever sued, make sure to speak with an attorney about how to defend yourself.

Timothy McCormick Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services

You should consult with a bankruptcy attorney. Many people in bankruptcy keep their house, car, and other significant posessions, and get a fresh start.

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in California

Credit, Debt and Collections Law Legal Forms