California  |  Criminal Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 8/26/13, 1:31 am

A friend is being charged with kidnapping and robbery. The facts are he went to another city to do some side work with a plumber. The verbal agreement was for reimbursement of travel expenses, and $200 per day of work. My friend went to work for this individual twice. The first time he bought a train ticket ($60) and worked two days (should have gotten $460) and came home with $400. The second time, he worked 3 days, and this time the guy didnt want to pay him at all because of an argument. My friend foolishly made the man take him to his ATM and withdraw $600 for his 3 days of work. I say he "made" him by threatening to beat him up, there were no weapons involved. The city this occurred in has filed these charges. This friend has no money for an attorney so will likely be represented by public defender. He is currently in custody in a different county jail, but about to be sent to the other city for arraignment on this complaint, as there was an outstanding warrant for his arrest. My main question is, if I can convince his parents to hire an attorney, rather than wait to be appointed a public defender, is is possible provosts counsel can get these charges reduced/dropped beforehand so that my friend does not need to be sent from one jail to another, and be released on his own recognizance? Or would it be wise just to wait?

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

115 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search