California  |  Criminal Law

I made the mistake of attempting to steal an $8 pair of socks from a Kohl's in California. On my way out, a man approached me and asked me to come back into the store to talk about the stolen merchandise. I followed, did not resist or try to run at all. They took me to a backroom and I filled out some forms, and they told me I'm banned for life from the store. They told me I would have to pay a Civil Demand, and if I didn't then I would have a warrant out for my arrest. Since I completely cooperated, LP told me they were not going to get the cops involved, I would not be arrested, and this would not go on my record or come up in a background check.

My question is, after reading online, Kohl's has a zero tolerance policy for shoplifting and basically all those who are caught will be prosecuted. If LP specifically stated (I asked two times to make sure what I was hearing was correct)that it would not go on my record, I would not have to go to court, and I won't serve jail time (as long as I pay the fine), what are the chances that any of this actually do happen? Everything I've read online has said how they have all had one of these things happen. What is my best course of action?