Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

Can a victim/ witness leave and move to another state while the case is still going on?

Asked on 7/29/13, 6:25 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Yes, unless the court orders otherwise. I suggest that if you are a victim/ witness and plan to move, that you at least speak to the DA on the case.

Read more
Answered on 7/29/13, 8:46 pm
Zadik Shapiro Law Offices of C. Zadik Shapiro
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

But if the DA knows you are leaving you may be served with a subpoena before you leave.

Read more
Answered on 7/29/13, 10:00 pm
Edward Hoffman Law Offices of Edward A. Hoffman
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Yes. It would be unjust to take away any of the victim's rights in order to prosecute the person who harmed her. Her departure won't necessarily have any impact on the case, since she can come back in order to testify at trial.

Read more
Answered on 7/30/13, 11:02 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now