Legal Question in Entertainment Law in California

Why is it that media outlets, local and national, get to make a profit on my likeness and picture, including but not limited to advertising and marketing of their product (as in the 5pm news for 1 example) without my consent but a television "show" has to get my legal consent? This seems to be a contradictory law that makes no sense considering that someone is going to make a profit off my likeness and I will receive nothing in compensation. Catch 22?

Jacob Kiani Law Office of Jacob I. Kiani

Because in the former case, it is considered news, or public information, that the public has a right to know and the news media has the right to publish.

In the latter case, it's considered as part of the "show's" content that they are selling and as such they must receive your permission first.

More Entertainment & Sport Law questions and answers in California

Entertainment & Sport Law Legal Forms