Legal Question in Family Law in California

i want to change custody orders because other parent went to prison

Asked on 10/19/13, 3:02 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Arlene Kock Law Offices of Arlene D .Kock APLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

File and serve your motion to modify the custody order for these reasons.

Read more
10/19/13, 7:45 am
B. Stuart Walker Law Office of B. Stuart Walker
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

I agree with Ms. Kock. File and serve your motion, (Request for Order,(RFO )) to change custody orders (based on the changed circumstances of other parent being in prison). I would add that you should find out from the prison authorities how to serve the other parent while he or she is in prison before you file so that you can make the deadline to serve the other parent within 16 COURT days before the hearing (add 5 more calendar days if you are allowed, and choose, to serve by mail) You may need to have the other parent personally served. Prisons, state and federal, have procedures for both personal and service by mail.

Read more
10/19/13, 9:27 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88273 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony RoachLaw Office of Anthony A. RoachChatsworth, CA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Michael E. HendricksonAttorney & Counsellor at LawAlexandria,
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now