Legal Question in Family Law in California

if a court date has been set for a hearing to establish spousal support along with attorneys fees, but the respondent has notified the petitioner that he is willing to mediate and settle a the matter out of court, can the court date be cancelled and the order established without a hearing?

Asked on 9/02/13, 1:52 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Personally, I wouldn't cancel a court date until the actual matter settled. Nothing keeps the other side motivated to settle a case like upcoming hearings.

Read more
Answered on 9/02/13, 3:14 pm
Timothy McCormick Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

I agree with Mr. Roach but he did not answer your actual question. The answer is, "yes." Parties can always file a stipulated (agreed on) order for the court to sign and enter instead of having a hearing. To be on the safe side, however, you should make sure you have a signed binding agreement, and preferably have a stipulated order at least submitted to the court, before taking a hearing off calendar.

Read more
Answered on 9/02/13, 6:26 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now