Legal Question in Family Law in California

My husband and i were married in the Philippines, both Filipino citizens. when he got to the US on visitors Visa in January 2002, for some reason what happened next i don't know. US records shows he remarried in the US on September 2003. He said he managed to get divorce in the US.

How is that possible, he is still actively married in the Philippines, and married at the same time in the US. I have no idea if at the time he is already a naturalized American citizen.

Timothy McCormick Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services

In California our County Clerks do not have the resources to search and find out if people are already married. If they fill out the marriage license application and say they are never married or are divorced, the Clerk accepts it and issues the marriage license. If the person is still married to someone else, the marriage is not valid, but he public records will show that it is, until one of the wives (or husbands if a woman double marries) does something about it.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California