Legal Question in Family Law in California

I am the legal guardian of my 12 year old sister and have been for the past 7 years. Recently I recieved a job offer in Japan and I really want to take it. But my other sister doesn't want me to take our little sister away and thinks she should stay with her and her husband. I don't want to loose custody of my sister , she's been like a daughter to me. And my other sister has never done much to help me. Sure she babysits and stuff but mostly she just does the fun things while I get to do the actual parenting. My question is can my sister do anything to stop me moving to Japan ? If it went to court what are my chances

Asked on 4/04/13, 6:35 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Zaida Zuraek Bridgford Law Office of Zaida Z. Bridgford
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Do you have a guardianship granted by the probate court? Do you have Letters of Guardianship over your sister? If so, you are the sole caretaker and can decide where she lives. If you do not have this and she is just living with you out of convenience, you should probably talk to an attorney.

Read more
Answered on 4/04/13, 8:18 am
Timothy McCormick Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Ms. Bridgford gave you an exactly correct answer. If you are a court appointed guardian, you have the final say on where she lives. Your sister cannot stop you. If you do not have the full legal formalities of guardianship, you will need to talk to an attorney in person.

Read more
Answered on 4/04/13, 11:05 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

89033 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now