Legal Question in Family Law in California

I live in San Diego, CA and am thinking about filing for legal and physical custody of daughter. My kid's dad hasn't seen her in 2 yrs (he hasn't wanted to) and lives in Texas, but has told me he's moving back to San Diego in a month or so. I am wondering if I should take advantage of him living out of state and file now, or if it will be best to wait till he moves here. He will not contest the custody papers.

Asked on 7/19/13, 1:25 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Patrick McCrary Law Office Of Patrick L. McCrary
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

There is no great advantage of filing while he is out of state as the court can always modify the order that you obtain and that may be easier than filing his own action. You certainly should file an action ASAP because there is currently no order concerning custody and, if he is on the birth certificate, there is nothing to legally prevent him from picking up your daughter. It may also save you a great deal of grief when you have your rights and his rights determined.

Read more
Answered on 7/20/13, 7:40 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now