Legal Question in Family Law in California

My ex is stoping payment on my Alamony because he claims I owe him money. Can he do this on his own?

Asked on 11/20/11, 1:57 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

George Shers Law Offices of Georges H. Shers
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

No. You have a judgment or agreement that he has to pay you a certain amount of alimony per month or what ever time frame is used, and he has an alleged claim against you. He has to get a judgment against you unless the divorce agreement allows him to deduct debts owed him, which it likely does not. You can go to court to force him to pay or if you already have a judgment put a lien on his property or go after his wages. Maybe a simply letter form an attorney might cause him to start paying; I charge $150 an hour but any attorney should be able to do a competent job for you.

not proof read

Read more
Answered on 11/20/11, 2:49 pm
Gary R. White Burton & White
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You should consult with a family law attorney, who can give you specific legal advice after reviewing your papers. I am available to do so and the initial telephone consultation will be free.

I you would like my assistance, give me a call at 916-925-6005.

Read more
Answered on 11/21/11, 11:36 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now