California  |  Civil Litigation

I was called this past week by a lawyer, informing me that my old business partner (from 2008) is suing me in civil court for a zillion dollars. He filed proof of service, but I never received anything, as papers were "left" at the front desk of a large building that I rent a desk in. He called me to ask why I haven't responded. Strange.

I asked him to email me the complaint and he did. I also paid for the proof of service. The suit is a joke. Its inflammatory, and flat out lies. Every one of the 10 points its total fabrication and nonsense.. but I'm in a corner here.

It appears that Im going to have to retain legal help even just to reply to this at the conference.. and this will cost me a LOT. I feel cornered in that I am going to be out anywhere from $3k to 25k just to prove that this yahoo is full of it. Even just to quash or get summary judgement or strike or anything... Im going to be out a lot of money.

Is there ANY WAY that I can get out of this quickly/cheaply? I did nothing wrong. A crazy person decided, 4 years later, to give me a hard time. He files, now Im going to suffer. It just doesnt seem right and Im sure there is something Im missing here. The few lawyers I called were friendly and helpful, but said there is no way of avoiding paying someone to help me, and I have little to no chance of even breaking even, let alone not losing my savings.

Worst of all is that the conference is coming up on the 22nd. I was just informed of this whole mess a few days ago. WHAT CAN I DO?

Im in CA and this is at the Los Angeles Superior court.

Thank you