Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in California

Building Manager Won't Stop Hugging Me

Does a tenant have any recourse against a building manager for unwanted physical contact? My building manager always has to hug and kiss me (on the cheek) whenever I talk to him about anything. I've tried to tell him ''nicely'' that I don't like it but he runs the building like the Gestapo and I'm afraid he will get mad if I tell him more strongly not to touch me.

Gregory Broiles Legacy Planning Law Group

Re: Building Manager Won't Stop Hugging Me

You could sue for battery (and for rental discrimination, if the landlord took adverse action against you as a result of your declining to have contact with him) but all of those approaches are likely to lead, as a practical result, to the end of your tenancy in the building - or, best case, to very unfriendly dealings with the manager in the future.

If the manager also owns the building, as a practical matter you likely have little choice other than to move somewhere else.

If the manager is an employee of other owners, it is possible that a lawsuit against the owner and the manager would cause the owner to find a new manager.

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in California

Landlord & Tenants Legal Forms