Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in California

is my landlord required to provide fire extinguisher(s)? I live in a complex of 20 apts, and would like to have one. sonoma ca, sonoma county.

George Shers Law Offices of Georges H. Shers

Under state law, your landlord does not hae to provide one for you pesonally. For a 20unit building he probably does need to have several iln place. Contact the state agency regulating housing to see what they say. Contact the local fire department to see if there is a local ordiance requiring it. Tjere must be a flire alarm in evey bedroom and kitchen area. If you have bars on the windows, there must be a panic bar set up to allow you to quickly pop the bars open.

Scott Linden Scott H. Linden, Esq.

The building is definately required to have some at various locations as well as fire alarms and smoke detectors.

I would recommend checking with, as stated, the fire department, they will send someone out to look, but also contact the city's zoning department and see if they can assist you or direct you to someone who can.

If you would like to discuss this matter further in a more private forum, please feel free to contact me directly at the email address provided by LawGuru or through our firmís website located at PasadenaEstatePlanning.com

IMPORTANT:

No attorney-client nor confidential relationship is created through this communication. You may not rely in any way on this communication, and nothing herein constitutes legal advice nor legal opinion. Your issue may be time-sensitive and may result in a loss of rights if you do not obtain an attorney immediately.

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in California

Landlord & Tenants Legal Forms