California  |  Personal Injury

I am being sued over a dog bite. The incident occurred in a store two months ago. My wife had our 20 pound terrier on a leash when the plaintiff walked up behind them, startling our dog who nipped him on the leg. The man grew angry and I apologized, but evidently not to his satisfaction because after leaving the store he came back saying he wanted the store manager to call the cops. I then spoke to the man, apologized again for what happened and gave him my name and number saying I would pay for any medical problems he had as a result of the bite. I looked at his leg and saw nothing, not even a scratch. The man said he accepted my apology and said he wasn't the sort to make a big deal out of things. I should have stayed to talk to the police myself but thinking the matter otherwise settled I went home. Later that afternoon an animal control officer came to my door to tell me that she was the one who responded to the incident. She said she took the report but since the bite didn't break the skin the report would not be submitted and that the dog would not have to be quarantined. Now last week I received a letter from the man's attorney saying I am being sued for damages and suffering. I called the attorney in response to his letter asking if I have homeowner’s or renter’s insurance (I don’t). During the conversation the attorney said that his client is claiming that he received puncture wounds from the bite and that he's waiting to get back medical records before determining what he will offer in terms of a settlement. I didn't not tell him that I had earlier spoken to animal control and they confirmed that while a bite report was taken, it was not submitted because there was no puncture wound or skin break. My question is should I fight this? The man is obviously lying about having received a puncture wound, but I don't know if it matters that I have witnesses (including the animal control officer) who will say that the man ‘s leg was not punctured and he was not injured.

Experienced Mesothelioma Attorneys - SEG Law

Simon, Eddins & Greenstone, LLP, (SEG Law) is one of the country's most prominent trial law firms specializing in representing victims of cancer caused from exposure to hazardous substances such as asbestos. The firm was built on a shared passion to diligently and compassionately serve each client through every step of the legal process.

For more information visit us at SEGlaw.com