California  |  Real Estate Law

Can I go to Connecticut from California without a parent, and rent a room in a apartment? If so, I've read that you'd need a parent to cosign, but my mom does not want to go. I was going to go alone, and I wanted to stay for a week or two, because someone I know lives there, and I want to get used to the area because I want to be attending a school there. My main concern is a place to live and if I need some kind of papers that my mom could sign here in California and take to Connecticut?

Answered on: 6/29/13, 5:21 pm by Bryan Whipple

Since answering your question requires knowledge of Connecticut law, you should re-ask it specifying "CT" so that it gets directed to Connecticut lawyers, not us Californians. My guess, and it's only a guess, is that Connecticut may allow minors to sign binding contracts for the necessities of life, such as food and shelter, but that individual landlords may be reluctant to rent to someone with no income and no local ties. As far as the travel part goes, I don't know of any age barrier to travel other than perhaps the carriers' own rules.

Bryan R. R. Whipple, Attorney at Law P O Box 318 Tomales, CA 94971-0318