California  |  Real Estate Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 7/03/13, 3:30 pm

I own a property jointly with my two brothers. It was an inheritance from our mother. Title is in all three names.

One brother is living in the house and has refused access to both my other brother and me. He is separated from his wife who lives in one of his two other houses. His other house is rental property.

He is not paying rent and refuses to sell or vacate even though we have offered to sell him our shares. I have been paying the property tax. I am concerned that he has not been keeping up the property.

What do I need to do to file for partition? If the propert is in poor condidtion can we take the cost of repair from his share of the sale? Do we have to sue him to remedy?

I live in NC but my brothers both reside in LA County.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

125 Answers given in the last few hours.

8663 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search