California  |  Real Estate Law

If you rent out garages to your residents should you have a key? Is it the same as them renting a unit?

Answered on: 7/02/13, 4:58 pm by William Christian

I assuem from your question the garage is separately rented from a rental unit. As is often the case, it depends. If you rent covered space which is open (like a carport) there would be no purpose. If you have a secured and fully enclosed garage, you may want to provide a key, or alternately you may advise them that they are responsible for locking or securing the premises. You should have a rental agreement defining each parties legal obligations, In this regard, it is quite similar to rental of a unit. This gratuitous response does not create an attorney client relationship. The advice provided herein is generic, may not apply to your circumstances and is not to be relied upon in your actions. An attorney client relationship is created only upon execution of an engagement letter hiring me or my firm.

Rodi Pollock 444 S Flower St Los Angeles, CA 90071

Answered on: 7/02/13, 10:14 pm by Timothy McCormick

You are entitled to access the premises, no matter whether it is a garage or a dwelling unit, unless your lease or rental agreement states restrictions on your access.

Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services 201 Spear St., Suite 1100 San Francisco, CA 94105

Answered on: 7/03/13, 10:22 pm by John Laurie

Yes you should have a key

Gertz and Laurie 18321 Ventura Boulevard Suite 900 Tarzana, CA 91356