Legal Question in Traffic Law in California

I was pulled over for a tail light being out but my license was suspended for unpaid traffic tickets. They impounded the car and gave me a ticket for driving with a suspended license. I now have paid off the tickets, got the vehicle released and now have a valid ca driver's license. I have a court date coming up for this recent ticket. Can my license be suspended again? Will there be any leaniancy because I've now obtained a valid license?

Experienced California Attorneys

At the Law Offices of Eslamboly & Barlavi we handle most types of Personal Injury Cases and Tort cases including: automobile, truck, motorcycle, pedestrian, bike, and slip and fall accidents, dog bites, wrongful death, legal malpractice, medical malpractice and products liability cases. We only get paid if we recover compensation for you. Visit our website or call 1-800-LAW-TALK.

Joe Dane Law Office of Joe Dane

Yes, getting everything squared away and getting your license reinstated was the absolute best thing you could have done to help yourself out. No guarantees, but many judges or prosecutors may be willing to reduce the charge to something else or down to an infraction since you've gotten your license back.

What's going to matter is the rest of your driving history and how many priors you have for driving on a suspended license.

Also - watch that you don't rack up too many points and have your license suspended for being a negligent operator. Driving on a suspended license is 2 points on your driving history - the same point count as a DUI.

You may want to sit down with a local criminal defense attorney to discuss this further.

Andrew Roberts Roberts Law Group

Mr. Dane is correct in his response. Getting your license will more than likely reduce this to an infraction. A traffic ticket attorney would be very helpful here.

More Traffic Law questions and answers in California