Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in California

I co-own a property w/ one other person & my husband (3 people on the deed). My husband passed away over 35 years ago. I have since had a falling out w/ the other party. What steps do I need to take to put this property in my Living Trust, and is there a way to accomplish this without involving the other party?

Asked on 2/10/10, 2:59 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Robert F. Cohen Law Office of Robert F. Cohen
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You should have an attorney review the deed. If you're joint tenants or hold the property as community property, you might just transfer the property to your trust, as you have succeeded to your husband's interest or became the owner of your husband's share upon his death. If you were tenants in common, it's a little more complicated. When it comes to real property of significant value, it's foolish to mess around and not seek professional advice and assistance.

Read more
Answered on 2/15/10, 10:34 pm
Grenville Pridham Law Office of Grenville Pridham
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

I agree with Mr. Cohen, you should consult an attorney and show the attorney all of the documents pertaining to the real property. The attorney who prepared the trust would be my first thought to start.

Read more
Answered on 2/16/10, 2:25 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now