Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in California

The final probate hearing for my late Aunt's estate was July 31st, 2013. Is there a law how soon the distribution of the estate should be given the heirs? It has been six years since her death.

Aaron Feldman Feldman Law Group

You say there was a final hearing July 31st. Was a Petition for Final Distribution approved? Did the Judge sign the Order that day or was the Order submitted? The distribution can't occur until there is a signed Order for Final distribution. Usually a law firm will do this pretty quickly once there is a signed order because the law firm wants to get paid too. You should call the law firm and ask.

William Christian Rodi Pollock

I agree. The court often will take a while to produce the order. In LA county it is about 2 weeks or longer. Once the order is available the executor can proceed. In general it is anticipated that distributions will be completed in a "reasonable time. " There is no specific law on what that is, as it is based on the facts in your particular circumstance. Call the lawyer and be a squeaky wheel.

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in California

Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA