Legal Question in Legal Malpractice in District of Columbia

Does lawyer/client confidentiality exist when it comes to free or paid consultations? I have a possible legal malpractice suit and I'd like to 'shop' around to some lawyers, but I'm concerned that word could get back to the lawyer I have a potential claim against. (I know it's not professional, but what if the firms are 'friends' or 'looking out for their own'...I wouldn't want to destroy and potential claim before it even got started.) If I can't expect lawyer/client confidentiality, how would I go about searching for a lawyer without jeopardizing a claim? Thanks.

Paula McGill Attorney at Law

You can start by looking on this site for Legal Malpractice attorneys who are licensed in DC. If you cannot find at least four attorney to call, look on another site.

Before telling the attorney the details of your case, ask if (s)he knows the attorney who you intend to sue.

Consultations are protected by the attorney-client privilege unless otherwise noted.

Fortunately, you are in DC. There are too many attorneys to have this small private club that would lead and attorney to "protect their own." Nevertheless, you should make sure the attorney you choose has several years of experience and success in handling legal malpractice claims.

LICENSED IN DC

Not a Legal Malpractice Attorney

More Legal Malpractice Law questions and answers in District of Columbia