Legal Question in Personal Injury in District of Columbia

I was in a cycling accident a few days ago that was caused by an automobile that pulled out into the road and abruptly stopped without looking to see the pack of 20 cyclists coming toward him. I had to brake and swerve to avoid him, causing the cyclist behind me to hit my left leg and bring us both down. On the way to the ground, the front of my bike hit the side of the van. Clearly the van was at fault but I am waiting to hear from the officer to see what the police report indicates. I was taken the the hospital for minor injuries (stitches mainly) and my bike sustained about $700 in damage. Is there anyway I can recover medical expenses and bike repair costs? Thanks!

Asked on 9/24/09, 1:46 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Michael E. Hendrickson Attorney & Counsellor at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Yes, you could sue the operator of this van in small claims court for up to $5K for your damages if his insurance company refuses to pay your claim(s).

Read more
Answered on 9/29/09, 5:01 pm
Lesly Longa Longa Law P.A.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Yes, you should start by contacting his insurance company.

Read more
Answered on 9/29/09, 6:26 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in District of Columbia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Personal Injury Law and Tort Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now