Legal Question in Real Estate Law in District of Columbia

I recently discovered a Canadian deed of land from the 1890s that is in my great grandfather's name. Assuming the documentation exists to prove it was properly willed to me, is there any chance I own this land? It is 100+ acres of likely unoccupied land in New Brunswick. What do I do? Drive up there to the courthouse or registry of deeds and see if it was recorded and is still current?

If an attorney from DC can answer, I will consider hiring you to examine the deed and research the land online. Also, the person who answers does not have to be an expert in Canadian law.

Daniel Press Chung & Press, P.C.

Hiring a DC lawyer to research NB property records and property law would be like hiring a proctologist to do brain surgery. It should not be a big deal to hire a NB lawyer (in the right county). With the added benefit that they are probably cheaper than DC lawyers.

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in District of Columbia