Florida  |  Business Law

I have been a member of a local organic food buying club for around three years. I usually pay for my produce with cash, occassionally a check - never with credit. Last week they distributed a Credit Card Authorization Form, along with a letter stating that the credit card will not be charged unless there is a past due amount. If they must make a charge, there will be a 1% fee for processing any unpaid balance via credit card. I feel extremely uncomfortable completing and submitting this form since, essentially, they admit to having accumulated a considerable sum of balances due because of poor business practices. In addition, the owners have been dealing with serious and, I'm sure, expensive health issues. My question: Can they force me to sign this Credit Card Authorization Form as a condition of remaining a member? I would rather always pay cash than sign this form. Can they refuse to sell to me if I refuse to sign the form and offer to always pay in cash and in full? I have always paid in full, never bounced a check, and never made a late payment. I feel I'm being penalized unfairly for their poor business practices and the delinquency of some other members.

Answered on: 5/13/13, 8:45 am by William Gwaltney

The simple answer is yes they can make signing the authorization a condition of membership. You are free to sign it, or place your business elsewhere. Unless you are the only member of this club I do not see that you are being "punished", they simply seem to have made a decision about how to conduct their business which you disagree with. if you do not like it you can choose to not continue doing business with them.

William W. Gwaltney, Attorneys at Law 4832 Kerry Forest Parkway, Suite B Tallahassee, FL 32309