Legal Question in Consumer Law in Florida

Obtaining old medical records difficulty

I lived in Florida for 8 1/2 years and while there, I had some medical testing done. I moved to Colorado in 1998 and now my new doctor would like the results of those tests. I have been trying to get my old doctor to send the records for about 3 months. I have sent 2 written requests from my current doctor and called the doctor in Florida many times, with no results. Recently, I have gotten my father, who is more forceful than I, involved with no results. Plus, the last several phone calls have not been returned.

My question is this: Do I have any legal action I can take to obtain my medical records if no results occur within a resonable amount of time?

Richard Schroeder Richard O. Schroeder, Counselor At Law

Re: Obtaining old medical records difficulty

Depending on state law you may be able to sue the doctor to have him turn over the records. However, you will have to sue him in Florida.

The Florida medical board may be able to assist you. Generally, professionals are not allowed to retain records.

More Consumer Law questions and answers in Florida

Consumer Law Legal Forms