Legal Question in Family Law in Florida

I have had my child since June 2, 2013 today is July 9, 2013. I was suppose to return her at the end of July to get ready for school but the mother is now incarcerated on two charges child abuse and battery. I currently don't know when she will be released. Her mother has already tried to pick up my daughter but my sheriff's department will not let her because we have no custody agreement they said I automatically fall back to being the custodial parent in this situation. I live in the state of Florida she resides in the state of Georgia, which is where my daughter was living when I picked her up. What do I need to do to get full custody or temp full custody granted to me through the courts so I can get her enrolled in school in Florida, and also because i'm scared for my daughters well being if she does go back home and her mother has child abuse charges?

John Smitten McGuire Law Offices

You can file a case now in GA or wait for the kid to reside with you for 6 months then file in FL.

Robert McCall Law Office of Robert McCall

Since Mom is in jail you may contact the Florida Department of Children and Families for assistance.

Carolyn Jones Law Office of Carolyn R. Jones

You will need to file for custody in Georgia for the children. You should contact a Georgia lawyer to consult about your options.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Florida