Florida  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 9/24/12, 10:50 am


My wife passed away from cancer in Oct 2007. Almost from the time my wife was diagnosed, her ex stopped paying child support for their 9 year old daughter knowing that we were not able to fight him for it at that time.

After my wife passed, initially I had no intention of going after him for all the back support he owed us. However, things have now deteriorated to the point that he will no longer allow myself or my daughter (his daughterís half-sister) to see my step daughter, so I'm interested in finding out if I can go after him for the back support he never paid while my wife was sick. I should point out that my wife had full custody of my step daughter, with her ex having his daughter every other weekend.

And a related question: After my wife passed, her ex would not allow my step daughter to continue to live with myself and her half-sister. Instead, he asked my wifeís brotherís family if they would keep her as he had no interest in raising her himself. Sheís been living with them since my wife passed, but he has never given them one dime in child support. They have asked him about support from time to time, but he always has some excuse as to why he has no money.

My question is can they go after him for back child support? In my opinion, the passing of a spouse would not relieve a father of child support responsibilities, but I donít know what the law is in regards to such situations.

Please help!

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

70 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search