Legal Question in Employment Law in Florida

Disability Retirement Benefits

The job I had did have long-term disability policy. I worked long enough to be eligible for retirement disability benefits. I provided written statements from my doctor stating I was permanently unable to work due to anxiety and depression. I used all of my sick leave. I was then terminated because they said I was physically unable to work. Human Services informed me that they prepared a disability retirement packet--which included instructions regarding completion and submission, a Federal Disability Retirement Estimate Statement, and forms to be completed. After several months, having made many calls and sending letters, I only received the Federal Retirement Benefits Disability Estimate--reporting my computed earnings, sick leave, insurance, FERS, etc. HR apologized months later and kept promising to send a complete package. They never did. I did not get to apply for retirement. Then they totally ignored me, refused my calls and did not respond to my letters. What recourse do I have, if any and within how much time?

Asked on 8/29/08, 8:31 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Alan Wagner Wagner, Vaughan & McLaughlin, P.A.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Disability Retirement Benefits

Go ahead and apply for disability now. Do it yourself. It is your responsibility, not the HR department. If you were disabled, they will make back payments.

Read more
Answered on 8/29/08, 8:51 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Labor and Employment Law questions and answers in Florida

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Labor and Employment Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now