Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Florida

I am wanting to pay my rent about six months in advance (I get paid biannually). My lease expires the end of this month. So, in about 3 weeks. I do not want to contact my landlord about renewing the lease because in my two years of living at this residence every time I have called him for something he has been extremely mean. I even fix all problems myself because of this. I have not called him in a year. I am worried if I pay in advance, he will raise the rent and have my money and then demand more later. Can he do this? If he raises the rent does he have to give me a refund if I refuse to pay the increased rent and instead opt to move out? I live in Florida by the way- thanks in advance

Barry Stein De Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & Zachary

huh? you have a lease or not? If you have a lease that document controls. I would abide by that document. If you have no lease, I would not pay rental in advance without an agreement that states he accepts that payment as payment in full. I would not call him I would do it all in writing. If you do not get this agreement, he can probably raise the rent whenever he wants. he may be responsible for refunding to you any overpayments if you leave timely and don't breach.

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Florida

Landlord & Tenants Legal Forms