Legal Question in Legal Ethics in Florida

My friend won several million dollars in a trial with our county here in Florida. From what I understand the county appealed the amount awarded but not the case itself. This was in the 1990's and now it is 2013 with no final result. Is this common when it involves that much money? I believe the case was handed down to the attorneys son when the original attorney passed away. Is there a way to look up a case to see which attorney is now handling the case.

Byron Petersen Byron G. Petersen P.A.

From Byron Petersen:

I can answer these questions of yours quickly but I need the appellate case number and need to know in which district appellate court in Florida the case resides.

Sincerely, Byron Petersen

Barry Stein De Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & Zachary

If the case was against a governmental entity for negligence it likely was capped at $100,000. A Claims bill would have been needed to collect additional monies and they are extremely difficult to obtain. Not unusual for the matter to last for a decade or more.

More Legal Ethics & Professional Responsibility questions and answers in Florida