Legal Question in Personal Injury in Florida

About 2 years ago I worked for a world known security company assigned for loss prevention at a retail store. I was escorting a shoplifter to the office along with the department manager of the retail store when the shoplifter took off towards the exit. When I gave chase I accidently ran into the department manager knocking him down. Now I get a call from the Security company's lawyer saying that he is suing the security company. I have to give a deposition on what happened. She told me she was there to represent the security company not me but I could bring a lawyer if I wanted to. Can I be sued and should I have representation of my own at the deposition?

Barry Stein De Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & Zachary

You are likely protected by worker's compensation immunity and cannot be sued as long as the employee is covered by w/c. You should consult an attorney to make sure about all the facts.

Angelo Marino Angelo Marino Jr. PA

It appears that the manager sued the security company, but not you. Nevertheless, I would call the security company's lawyer and demand the insurance company provide an attorney for you and that it be of a different law firm. I am not so sure your are protected by workers' compensation immunity, since the manager does not work for the security company. However, the manager's attorney must feel that he/she does not need to sue you since the security company is the deep pocket.

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Florida